Commission Meeting at Hanoi, August 24, 2001
Meeting on Friday, 24/08/2001, 18:00
Attendance was so low that the meeting was moved to the restaurant of the Government Guest House. The small group discussed the two topics:
- Joint Symposia at Sapporo
- The Earth's core: structure, evolution and the generation of the magnetic field (with IAGA, IAVCEI, perhaps Geodesy)
- Mantle reservoirs constraints from geochemistry, seismology, mineral physics and geodynamics ( with IAVCEI).
- There was a feeling that an additional symposium (probably with IAVCEI) should address questions of the upper mantle and transition zone, such as subduction and deep earthquakes, deep continent-ocean differences, generation of mantle melts, mapping of plumes in upper mantle, water in the transition zone etc- A good title has to be found.
- Barbara has suggested a symposium on "Continuously excited free oscillation" (with IAMAS). There were some doubt if there would be a critical mass of speakers.
- There was a discussion on a possible task group on "Reference Earth Models". This could give some "official blessing" to the ongoing activities coordinated by Gabi Lashe ( who was present). Gabi thought that would be helpful and could attract people from outside the USA to participate. She would be the natural chairwoman for the task group.
Things I need to discuss with Barbara:
- Exact title for joint symposia, keywords, possible convenors.
- Members of the Commission on Earth Structure and Geodynamics to be appointed.
- Members of the Task Group on Reference Earth Model ( in Coordination with Gabi, if she is going to be chairwoman)